Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Wyndham Championship Golf Tournament

Network Growth

Sergio Garcia wins 2012 Wyndham Championship
in Greensboro, NC (Sedgefield Country Club)
While the golf pros battled the rainy weather during the Wyndham Championship this weekend, I was fortunate enough to find myself in a suite on the 17th hole, networking with people from all backgrounds and professions. The common theme was GOLF and I know close to nothing about that!

I do know that Sergio Garcia won the tournament, but instead of pretending to know all about the sport, I allowed myself to use my lack of knowledge as a conversation starter. With so many golf enthusiast attending the tournament, it was a great way to start a conversation.
Ballybunion Golf Course, Ireland


One gentlemen I met during the rain delay, shared how passionate he is about golf and the trip to Ireland he took to play eight courses in nine days. He promised to pass my contact information on to anyone he thought might help in my internship search.




I made two other connections that afternoon. One was a connection that would help me in my personal life and the other was an Alumnus of the MBA program I am currently in. Adding Alumni to my network is one of the most important things I believe I can do because they have been in the same position I am in now and have been successful in their lives after graduation.

I am excited to use sports events as networking opportunities, especially once I found out that the Giants vs. Panthers game on September 20th will also be an opportunity to meet UNCG Alumni. I was going to be in attendance anyway! Let's go Gmen!

If I could change one thing to make the experience better, I would have made sure I attended the event with business cards in hand. I was asked for a business card multiple times and once I realized that I was unprepared, I ordered them right away. I am all set now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave any comments or questions and I will be glad to help!