Saturday, August 18, 2012

One Shot At Success

The Start-Up of You

No matter what it is you are trying to do with your life or who you are, everyone needs a personal marketing package (PMP). Our PMP shows others how much we value ourselves and that we know that we have that special something that will positively add to the common goals we share with the other party. We all have one chance to make a great first impression on a potential employer, school admissions officer, a potential client or even our potential in-laws. This entry is going to outline what you should have in your PMP and how each entity will add to your self-value.

In an article from the New York Times by Thomas Freidman, "The Start-Up of You," Freidman poses the questions (employers) are asking about you:
  1. Can this person add value every hour, every day - more than a worker in India or a robot computer?
  2. Can he or she help my company adapt by not only doing the job today but reinventing the job for tomorrow?
  3. Can he or she adapt with all the change, so my company can adapt and export into fastest-growing global markets?
Today, job seekers are constantly having to reinvent themselves, their images and their knowledge base. Being a job seeker, I am in the midst of doing the same thing. During my Master of Business Administration program, I will be tailoring my own PMP and sharing my process with you so you can develop your own.

Look for article and book reviews, networking skills (social media networking too), interview questions and stories, resume and cover letter tips, features on key individuals, as well as style and etiquette tips. I will be reading the book "The Start-Up of You" by LinkedIn's founder, Reid Garrett Hoffman and co-authored by Ben Casnocha and doing a review soon, so look forward to that and read it with me!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave any comments or questions and I will be glad to help!